Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Day 21: Unisex...

 ...nope.  As Jake went in to the dressing room to try on a bathing suit I was kind of stunned.  I looked around and there was another mother I made eye contact with and she quickly read my emotions.  We had a quick discussion about how we didn't feel comfortable with the dressing room arrangement.  Her son came out and he looked to be a college student.  She told me that at Clemson they actually have dorms that are "unisex".  One room is a girls and the next is a boys....That just seems like a problem waiting to happen.  

The timing was interesting.  The night before I actually watched a few minutes of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians".  I do not usually watch this show but as I flipped through the channels I
saw that in this particular episode Bruce Jenner was telling his daughters he was transgender (the world alone is so ridiculous).  I listened for a few minutes as he said he was born this way and he felt that this was the mission God had given him in life-to help others deal with it.  I agree that Heavenly Father gives us things in our lives, that maybe we are even born with, to test us. Will we follow His commandments and plan or will we go out and follow the world?  If the Lord gave this to Bruce
Jenner as a test, Bruce has failed.  First of all if God "put a female spirit in a male body" than he would cease to be God because that would be a mistake and God doesn't make mistakes.  Secondly, lets say God decided that this would be a good test for Bruce Jenner (I don't think he was born being transgender...I think it is environmental-but just for the sake of argument) is he passing the test by dressing like a women,
having operations, and taking hormones? No.  We are supposed to over come the natural man.  So either way you look at it it is wrong. 

We met friends of ours at the mall and while the kids hung out I was having a discussion about it with my friend.  We were both in agreement on the topic and the fact that the world continues to change so quickly.

It wasn't until after we met our friends, had lunch, and then went to their house for the kids to ride bikes (no this isn't Jake's bike.  It is one he saw and thought was very cool.  Check out those tires!), that Jake and I went to the store that had the Unisex dressing room.  I have yet to tell her about the dressing room.  I am sure she will see the irony in us seeing this right after our conversation-as if it was confirming out assessment of the world! Hahaha!  But any way...back to the main point I was trying to make.  I posted the picture on Instagram and made the comment, "Maybe I am behind the times but I am not a fan of the unisex bathroom".  An acquaintance of mine commented, "They are trying to be sensitive, tho it just comes off as akward...it's for transgenders I'm assuming".  That is when I got a little...angry. Yep I would say that is the right word. Not just at the ignorance of her comment but because she typed "tho".  Seriously?  How can you begin to take anyone who does that? I typed this up and posted with out even thinking twice. (As a side note: everyone else that commented had the same feelings I did) 

"I do not think that is the reason why at all (crazy person...her Instagram address should be here) . I am sure it is so they don't have to have two. Having 2 takes away sales space. I also think people need to stop being so "sensitive". The vast majority of people are not "transgnder". If they are worried about being sensitive why is no one worried about being sensitive to me and the other mother who I was standing with talking about how it was uncomfortable to watch our teenage sons go into a unisex dressing room? And I don't want to try on clothes with men. It isn't fair to ME but no one cares about that. People need to start dealing with their issues and not imposing them all on society. If someone wants to be transgender why can't they just do it without having to change everything around them? I am a germaphob but I don't expect the whole world to start hiring someone to clean their bathroom after every person that uses it so I will not be creeped out by the germs! Where do we draw the line on who we have to be "senstive" to? I can handle my issues on my own without having to have society stop and change everything to be "sensitive" to my every need! We will end up having 10 different bathrooms/dressing rooms in stores if we are going to be "sensitive" to everyone....but that won't happen because we only have to be "sensitive" to certain people. Everyone else just has to get over it. Everyone wants to be equal and treated fairly, but what that really means is those who are different than what is the norm want all their needs to be catered too and for everyone to walk on eggshells so they won't feel bad. And now I will step off my soapbox...."

I do not regret it.  I may have been more eloquent if I had really thought it all through before typing but I am okay with it being a plain old rant of emotions.  :)