Thursday, April 14, 2011

Old Fashioned: Part 1.

I feel like there should be meetings for us "old fashioned" folks. We are a dying bred. The more I am in the world (not of the world!) and dealing with the public, the more I realize that I am in the worlds eyes EXTREMELY old fashioned. A fact that makes me smile. In high school I wasn't a rebel at all, but one of my friends mom's called me a "free spirit". One of my aunts used to tell me, when I was little, that if I had been born a generation earlier, I would have been a hippie. I have a testimony that we are born when Heavenly Father needs us on this earth. If I had been born and raised in the 60's would I have been a hippie? Maybe...That could be why I was reserved for this time. :) I am glad I am not a hippie. I am happy to be an EXTREMELY conservative and old fashioned person.

A young women (she is planning on being a teacher. She is a great girl, but she thinks she knows EVERYTHING, and she is EXTREMELY opinionated...in the way that everyone else is an idiot if they think differently than she does...) that I work with asked me if I could ever be a stay at home mom and how she didn't think she could. I listened to her say that she thought she would go crazy-not because of her kids, because there wouldn't be anything to do...?...She has a lot to learn. I then went on to tell her that until this past year, I had in fact been a stay at home mom and that was my profession of choice. We talked about a LOT more than that. I told her that I feel very strongly that the moral decline in this country is directly related to the fact that mothers aren't embracing their divine roles any more. I told her that mothers that choose to work outside the home, not because it is a necessity (because in this world it is for a necessity for a lot of families), but in order to have a higher level of luxury are just being selfish. I told her the world is focused on "things"and "stuff" more than they are on their children and that is the problem with our country. I did this all nicely I promise...She thinks I am old fashioned.

Another co-worker lives with his girlfriend, who is a pastor...?...He had to spend a couple of days in the hospital because for his birthday they went to a club to celebrate and someone slipped something into his drink...This is a very nice guy, who is a Christian...Just not an old fashioned one...

Another girl at work (who is so nice and we are great work friends), is coming out of a rough patch in her relationship. She just found out her fiance of 3 years, who she lives with and is the father of one of her children, has a nine month old baby with a one night stand. She has prayed about it and is turning it over to the Lord and it looks like they are going to be able to work through this hurdle in their relationship. I am so happy that her "modern family" is going to be able to stay together.

These are all really nice people that I enjoy working with. Their lives are normal to the world. I however am old fashioned and feel so blessed for it. My co-workers can't believe Aaron is going to school full time and working 3rd shift. They don't understand (even though I try to tell them) that he feels it is his responsibility to support our family and he takes that responsibility very seriously. They think he is old fashioned too, and they are right. I am thankful to be old fashioned. My struggles and stresses in life are SO much easier to handle than all the worldly ones I could be going through. Thank you Mom and Dad for bringing our family into the Gospel. Thank you for raising me to be "old fashioned". My name is Carrie, and I am PROUD to be old fashioned.