Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Inevitable things...

There are 2 things that were inevitably going to happen and they have. Here they are:

1. As Aaron and I were trying to go to sleep last night (Mondays and Wednesdays are the only nights Aaron is at home, since he works 3rd shift), neither of us could get comfortable. Then we realized we are both used to sleeping in the middle of the bed by ourselves. I sleep in it at night, and Aaron sleeps in it during the day (except on Tues. and Thurs. when he is at school)...Pretty sad, huh? There is light at the end of the tunnel though, it really is just for a few more months...Hopefully...We are praying when he graduates in December he will be able to get a teaching position right away...

2. Jake has grown up. I blinked and he is almost a decade old. I remember when he used to need us to leave the hall light on to go to sleep. Now we have to do this:

...to keep the light out. We started doing this because Sadie would sneak into Jake's room to try to sleep with him, but the extra door was too much for her to figure out so she gave up. Now we do it because it blocks out the light better because he needs it to be dark now...

Jake is an adventurer at heart (at least he thinks he is...He still doesn't like to go down in the basement by himself...). He can't wait to go on an adventure all by himself. I was switching a load of clothes from washer to dryer, when from the top of the stairs I hear: "Bye Mommy" (He isn't too grown up to stop calling me Mommy yet. :) ). I came up the stairs to find him with a back pack and all the "essentials" (you know a change of clothes, a hammer, plyers...?...We need to have a Family Home Evening on 72 hour kits so he will know what essentials really are), and was ready to go on an adventure all by his self. He wanted me to let him just go where ever the road took him, but he promised to be home by 5-he had his watch on so he wouldn't be late. He talked about walking to Bi-Lo (the grocery store I work at that is a 5 minute drive away and off a main, busy, road...) and buying a drink, he had his money with him...?...Of course I wasn't about to let him go by himself. We don't live in a bad neighborhood or anything but 2 or 3 streets over it gets a little questionable. And there are crazy people out there! AND I am paranoid. We finally agreed on me following behind him, a little ways a way, in the car. Even though I had a million and 1 things to do I agreed. I mean it is Spring Break and I had the boy cleaning the windows on the ladder earlier, he deserves to go on an adventure right?




Sadie had to get in the car because she was "ruining the adventure". She was not to happy to watch Jake walk away. Jake ended up getting her back out because he was happy to see how much she wanted to be with him.

...Long story short I laughed in the car as he walked all over the neighborhood on his adventure. He stopped to read signs with historical facts on it. He sat down in the grass to relax. He had a sign that meant I should drive up to him and he would pay me a penny for a drink of water. Finally when a couple of people a street over, that don't know us, came up to ask Jake if he lived in the neighborhood (I am pretty sure they thought he was a run away...), I told him it was time to end the adventure and head home for dinner. He said it was the best day ever and the best adventure ever. I can't believe my baby is growing up so fast...