Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Super Power.


While we were doing school today, for the first time in the new dining room, in our pj's, I had an "Aha!" moment and I realized I had a super power.  It is the power to get it done people!...Or to make Jake learn and have fun...I'm not really sure how to label it yet....

  Jake didn't want to do science (we are taking the summer to review and in some chapters read for the first time the science we did this year.  We did all, except a couple, the labs but felt like we just skimmed over the book) this morning so instead of getting frustrated at him I had a great idea!


This picture has nothing to do with what I am talking about.  It is just a picture of the first information Jake wrote in his new timeline book. :)
  Back to the moment when I chose to encourage rather than get angry. Wha?!?! Yep.  Encourage a good attitude.  Jake doesn't want to learn?  No prob.  I will make encourage him want to.  Not force.  Encourage...

 We were reviewing levers and rather than just read it and hope to remember it, I decided to have Jake do it.  We read all about fulcrums, resistance, effort, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class levers. 

Yep.  We know what all those things are because we are smart like that!

  Then I told Jake he had 8 minutes (roughly the amount of time I would need to clean up the kitchen) to go and build with his Lego's and demonstrate each lever.


I rang our trusty bell for him to start and stop.  He built.  I cleaned.  We both learned.  And  the look on his face says it all.

Rather than get frustrated because Jake didn't want to do his science, I made him want to do his science.


BAM!
And that is how it is done people.
Supa Pow-ah!!!!
That kind of counts as a super power right?



And then.....it was time to do math...and he complained.  And I've got nothing on this one.  I just told him to do it and stop complaining.  I can't use my super power to solve every problem.