Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wordful Wednesday: What I have learned from being a Mother.

Where do I even begin?  I have learned that I can survive with my heart outside of my body.  I have learned that even when I think I need a break and want to get a way, I just wonder what my child is doing while I am gone.  I have learned that even though I am a sound sleeper, I always wake up when my child calls to me at night.  I have learned that you need to be prepared for anything and big bags can help with that.  I have learned exactly what I sound like when I get upset, because I have seen my child act the same way.  I have learned that even though it is hard to be a mom, I am doing better at it than I think I am.  I have learned that while you wait in a doctors office, it helps pass the time if you trace your child on the paper they put on the table you lay on and let them color it in.  I have learned that in the summer you should always have extra clothes in the car because you never know when you will have the chance to swim.  I have learned that the sound of your child's laughter fills your heart to bursting.  I have learned that hearing your child cry can rip out a piece of your heart.  I have learned that if I am in a bad mood my child will be too.  I have learned that I can never take enough pictures of his sweet face.  I have learned that the 2's aren't terrible at all.  I have learned that each year will go by faster than the last.  I learned that if you make a mistake as a parent your child learns a lot from you if you apologize.  I have learned making your child a little paranoid about germs isn't a bad thing.  I have learned that baby drool on your shoulder is a good thing.  I have learned that there is no such thing as enough hugs and kisses.  I have learned that no one can teach your child as well as you can.  I've learned that talking to the Principal about a bad teacher will make you feel better, but also worse-because she will tell you if you think she is bad now you should have seen her before...  I have learned that amazing things happen to your child when they receive the Holy Ghost after baptism.  I have learned smart kids are unorganized.  I have learned that camping with a tent in the living room is awesome.  I have learned that the most amazing accomplishments in my life aren't really mine-they are my child's. I have learned the true meaning of unconditional love...I could go on and on, but you get the point.  The day I became a mother is the day I truly became me.

What have you learned in motherhood?  Share your experiences and check out other mothers at Cocoa's blog.