Sunday, May 22, 2011

Picture a day in May, Day 21: A life lesson taught by a Couponer

One day when I was at work, I had to run a gallon of milk (or something cold...it was a while ago and I can't remember every detail...I guess that is why I should have documented it a long time ago) back to the dairy section.  I saw a an older lady fumbling with a handful of crumpled coupons looking very frazzled.  I said hello and asked her how she was doing.  She looked at me, and said she was getting over being very sick (being a cashier at a grocery store is right up there with bar tenders, hairdressers, and therapists, when it comes to people pouring out their hearts to you...I could write a book!),  and couldn't wait to get home and get back in bed. This was her first outing since feeling a little the teeniest, tiniest bit better, but she had to get some things and her husband (shame on him) wouldn't even do the shopping for her-he was in the car waiting.  She looked at the crumpled coupons in her hands and said "THIS is my life!", and kind of shook them in the air in front of her.  We both chuckled at her little analogy and I did what I could to help her.  I have thought about that little life lesson so many times since.  Is my life (laundry, dishes, errands, callings, relationships..etc)  well organized or a bunch of crumpled up coupons that I really want to use but don't even know where to begin?  Hopefully some where in between...
This is how I would like my life to be:
 Completely organized.  In order of the aisles of the grocery store I work and shop at.  Ready to use when ever I need to.

In reality this is how my life really is:
...Way behind on everything!  Some of the coupons are cut out and where they are supposed to be, but some are sitting neglectedly (I just made that word up.  Its my blog and I can if I want to) on top of the puzzle I finished...a while ago...That my husband keeps reminding me, I said I was going to use puzzle glue on to keep it together...a while ago.  So many things to do and so little time...And yet here I sit blogging (when I really should be sleeping...).  To this I say: "THIS is my life!"  I am working on it.  I will work on my coupons tomorrow night at 9:00 pm and watch Materpiece Classics on PBS and get a little closer to organized in at least one small category of my life...But only a little...There will still be that puzzle underneath to take care of.

As a side note: I happened to look out the window as the lady was slowly pushing her cart to her car.  Her husband came around the back and opened the trunk...and watched her as SHE put all the bags in.  As old as they were and as long as I am sure they were married, he really should have learned that was his job...I guess we all have things to work on.  :)