Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Don't drink the Kool Aid...

...That is Aaron's advice to me.  Remember the people in that cult a long time ago that all drank the Kool-Aid with poison in it and died because they were following what their leader told them to do?  I am heading it that direction as I am gearing up to home school.   I am trying to follow to the letter something that I think is going to work, but what if is doesn't?

Also, I  am not a perfect mom.  I have been known to lose it and raise my voice a little yell at times.  I have horrible follow through-I start things but have a hard time finishing them.  I have REALLY bad time management skills.  Jake and I are buddies and he can talk me into hanging out all day instead of cleaning or cooking.  Jake and I are a lot a like so sometimes we butt heads.  Jake is really smart when it comes to math...Me, not so much. 

The fear is creeping in.  I am becoming obsessed with a reading list.  I had a small breakdown when I learned that it is next to impossible to get one of the books on the suggested reading book list...I am scared.  My inner dialogue sounds something like this: "Can I do this?  I have to read EVER book on the suggested reading list in order to be able to do this...I am going to be able to do this whole "classic books" education?  I have just started reading the classics!  Do we need to look into a more structured curriculum?  Should I even be home schooling since I had to use spell check to spell curriculum right?????"  That is on a good day...

But, (I know you aren't supposed to start a sentence with but, but I do it all the time.  I write how I talk...) then I remember that there is no one better suited to teach my child than me.  I know him better than anyone.  I know that the school system is failing and that I have the best interest of my child in mind.  The school system does not, or they wouldn't be failing so miserably.  I will not drink the Kool-Aid.  I will not put all my eggs in one basket and assume it will work for my child.  I think the Thomas Jefferson Education is a great starting point.  A great break away from the conveyor belt that is the public school system.  If I don't read every book they suggest I am not setting myself up for failure.  I believe that they have created a great model and that we can make it work for us.  Maybe to the letter or maybe just bits and pieces...I can do this right?