Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Kitchen (some how this turned in to a long post..consider yourself warned!)


I really love Mom's (and Dad's-I know it is his too but it really is so my moms style!) kitchen. It is soooo pretty! I love that you feel the charm of the age of the house. They really knew how to make the most of space back then...How old is your house any way Mom? I am sure you will comment and answer that question! :)I love that Grampa Smith (Mom's father) come down from Vermont for a "vacation" and that he put the glass in the cabinets. It is perfect! I love that the window is over the sink and looks out to the "secret garden". I love thinking about how Jake took baths in that sink when he was a little guy! It is really just a cozy, warm kitchen.

It is kind of interesting because me and my mom are a lot a like, in a lot of ways-but our decorating styles are different. I LOVE the way she decorates and I think she likes the way I decorate too. Our homes growing up(I really only remember 2-Lebanon, New Hampshire and Charlotte-there where a couple of more but I was too little to remember!), were always comfortable and livable AND beautifully decorated. I think that is a hard balance, but I try to do the same thing. The funny part is that as different as our tastes are my things fit in Mom's house and match the wallpaper and paint very well! In the living room (you can't tell from the picture-the lighting wasn't great...sorry) her wall color is very close to the curtains and pillows I had in our house in Fletcher. My kitchen things match her wallpaper beautifully! What can I say-Great minds think a like! I love you Mom! We are so glad that while you and Dad are a way on your mission your beautiful home is our home. Even though you are across the country, it feels like you are right here with us. Taking care of your house for you was perfect timing for both of us....Enough of my rambling-here are the pictures to prove Mom's kitchen is gorgeous and my stuff looks pretty good in it! :)

I just love my Southern Living-Gail Pittman pitcher (a Christmas gift from Mom a couple of years ago), platter (got it free for hosting a part), and vase/pitcher (did you give me that too Mom?...did I get it as another hostess perk? I know I didn't pay for it...). How cute are the little shelves? See my garlic hanging? I roasted garlic for the first time a couple of weeks ago...don't know why I have never done it before. It was yummy.

...Yep. I actually took pictures...It just smelt so good-I needed a picture memory to remind me of the smell of first roasted garlic!

...And here is another one of it on another Southern Living ("Tuscan Tidbit" to be exact) plate. I had a couple of friends who sold "Southern Living At Home" and when they had a party and someone didn't take advantage of the cheap perks of ordering so much (if you order a certain amount of product you can add on things for CHEAP...I guess rich people don't need things for cheap so they would often not bother use the extra discount..), they would let me use the discount and add on things here and there. It is nice to know the right people...I knew a lot of them in Asheville...I need to find those kind of people here in the Charlotte area....


This is a wonderful cook book from the Junior League in Spartanburg. Good thing it is pretty enough to display too! Two of my favorite aunt's had the (...what would you call it-container? I'll go with ceramic container-that sounds better.) ceramic container made when Jake was born. I love it so much. What a great gift for a baby being born don't you think?! I love wooden spoons can you tell? I should have taken pictures of the cool spoons Papa Harmon (Aaron's dad) made me...I will have to save that for another post...

My beloved Southern Living serving bowl. I really LOVE it. Especially since I got it for free too, just for hosting a Southern Living party...It makes me love it even more, considering it was like $65 or something crazy like that!...And I love the glass containers filled with flour and sugar to make it look like I bake more than I really do...(I make rolls!). My sister gave me those when they left for Mexico...or Uruguay (it is pretty sad that you lived there for almost 3 years and I still had to use spell check because I couldn't remember how to spell it...I should have written you more...) and I love them. They are from Ikea. I love that store. Tina, you are back in the good old USA now...you don't want them back do you?...



My favorite view of the kitchen...sigh...Isn't it soooo pretty? Just in case you are wondering I don't usually leave my crock pot out. I am getting ready to cook a Big roast on low all night for dinner tomorrow (and to shred up and "food saver" it and put some in the freezer. Yes, I know that isn't correct grammar but I am sure by this point that is of no surprise to anyone reading this)...Yummy. I may even use that flour and make some rolls...Great I am going to make a mess again...