Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday is"Ketchup Day": Jake's fractured elbow

Did you know that I LOVE Heinz (yes it has to be Heinz...I realize a liberal owns the company but I cannot help myself....) ketchup?  I do...On anything. Fries or chips. Hot dogs or mac and cheese.  Burgers or scrambled eggs.  But that is really besides the point.   When I say Tuesday is ketchup day I really mean "catch up".  But since I am a big dork I am going to call it ketchup day. :)  That is the great thing about blogging you can do what ever you want!

Jake joined the broken bone club 5 weeks ago last Thursday (this picture is him after coming home from the ER.  He is smiling because the good hospital drugs are still in effect.  The next couple of days were no fun for my little bug...)...it is funny how time flies but at the same time it seems so much longer ago then that...We were helping my mom and dad pack their truck (we moved a couple weeks before that...I am so done with packing trucks...until we get our house of course!) when Jake fell (really hard) on the concrete/brick path in the backyard while carrying a box.  I knew it was broken immediately because I was carrying a box a few feet in front of him and heard his first "ahhh!" as he was tripping and witnesses the elbow smack and weird arm twist.  What did I do? What any mother would do.  I screamed out "He broke his arm!!" and turned and ran.  That is right people I ran away.  Don't judge me-I am not proud of this act but I know myself.  I could not be a nurse and seeing Jake hurt is something I can't take.  I only ran because I knew Aaron was right behind him and if I went over to them my hysteria would only make it worse. Scrapped knees and bruises I can do.  Lots of blood (requiring stitches-this has happened twice. One time I ran because Aaron was there.  The other time I didn't because he was not which meant I was in charge...) and broken bones not so much.  I only ran far enough away to regain my composure and then I turned back around and helped.   Aaron wasn't sure it was broken.  What part of my screeching didn't he understand?  Long story shorter...I took Jake to the ER (it was 4:50 pm and his doc said to head there not to them) and we waited.  He sat in pain while I tried to console him and explain my coward act of running.  Luckily he gets it. :)  He was sent to have 2 x-rays and I knew it was fractured when I saw it and I am not even a doctor.  Then the x-ray tech said: "okay...we are going to have to get a couple more...".  Sitting and waiting (for hours) was the hard part.  The doctor came in and told us we were in luck because the pediatric ortho doc was there because another child REALLY broke their arm (think twisted the wrong way and everything...) so we got lucky and didn't have to be sent to the hospital in Charlotte.  Fear creeps in a little when the local hospital tells you that you may have to go to the big city hospital near by because it may require surgery...Luckily it didn't!  The ortho doc had to push it back in place. One word for that: HORRIBLE.  But then it was over and the rest is history.  Jake had a full arm cast for 3 weeks and a splint for 2 more.  Poor Jake had bruises all around the part of his arm not in a cast that we could see.  I can only imagine how it looked under it those first few days.  Jake spent the morning after the "incident" sitting in the car for 3 hours (because there was nothing to sit on in the house since it was all packed in the truck) watching a movie while we finished up with the last of the boxes.  He has been such a trooper, but he always is.  He was upset at himself for crying so much.  I told him I would have cried way more so I call it a victory.   It is feeling so much better that he kicked my butt at Just Dance 3 a couple weeks after even with a cast on...not sure how because I was told by several black friends of mine way back in middle school that I have rhythm-which is the ultimate complement in my opinion.  I am thinking about practicing it every night after he goes to bed so I can kick his butt because it is really frustrating!  But that is a whole other post for another day...I will let you know how that turns out.

  We went to the doctor on my b-day and he got the go ahead to only use that splint if he is running around outside.  It is healed but now the not so fun physical therapy starts.  Luckily Ranee (my sister-in-law) is a PTA and can help us out with that.   I have been waiting to post this (still no camera plug.  I wrote this a couple of weeks ago and saved it to add pictures...so I changed a couple of things added this paragraph, and am going to post it) so I could put more pictures of Jake with his cast, with the splint, and doing his exercises but I am sick off waiting...I will post an all cast pic's post later.

I am starting to wonder if I will ever ketchup catch up...Tuesday is my designated ketchup day.  The rest of the week I will work on the here and now so I don't get even further behind!

...One more thing on a totally different topic: I lost 4 pounds last week!!! :)