Monday, August 27, 2012

I'm A Mormon Monday: Austyn

I am so excited for you to get to know another amazing Mormon woman. I met Austyn when we lived in Asheville NC and I feel like I have really gotten to know here since our families moved to different parts of the countries and we kept in touch through blogging. Austyn is a multi-talented, super mom (she would never admit to that but it is totally true) who has worked hard to learn about nutrition and has even started a blog (Project Granola Mom) to share all her knowledge with us.  Reading Austyn's post reminded me that we all have something important to share with others and I am so glad she agreed to shared her "mission" here on my blog.  With out further ado, let me introduce to you "Granola Mom":


  This is my oldest son, "The Wild One."  True to his nickname he came out screaming and has not really quieted down since.  He was a pretty intense baby and my mind was a whirlwind thinking that this motherhood thing was a lot different than I had imagined!  Right around the time that he turned eighteen months, things really escalated.  He did some pretty odd things behavior-wise, was not talking much, and was a very sensitive and difficult little toddler.  Enourmous meltdowns would errupt at the tiniest things - like someone saying hello to him or a sudden movement someone made.  I feel like I had tried everything to help him be happy and meet his needs, but felt I was failing, and was very worried.  At routine checkups doctors started casually throwing around the term "autism" which scares any mother, let alone a brand new mother.  I was at a loss for what to do, and felt helpless.  At times I couldn't even get him to focus on my face as his attention was all over the place.  Feeling I had exhausted all my efforts, I turned to my last resort - nutrition.


I had always been very interested in exercise, nutrition, and health in general.  I am an avid runner, and studied exercise science in college.  Our church teaches nutritional guidelines, which I tried to follow.  As a result I thought I was feeding our family pretty healthy.  Until I really started researching more and more.  Turns out there was SO MUCH more I could be doing, and so many things that I could cut out that were a routine staple in our house (like goldfish).  I slowly started making changes in what we ate, with my main focus being:  Whole foods, foods that exist in nature, and very little artificial ingredients or chemicals (if any).  If it came in a box, I tried not to buy it.  If I had to, I made sure it had only a couple ingredients.  Something amazing happened.  The Wild One slowly started showing signs of change.  He was suddenly content to sit on my lap while I read a few pages in a book with him.  He started looking me in the eyes.  He acted happy and even sweet.  Yes, he was still wild (still is), but he was a very different little boy. 

This small progress was very exciting to my husband and me, and we hit a turning point in the way our family eats.  I started gobbling up as much information that I could, and started a blog about the progress we were making in becoming as healthy as we could as a family.  

The choices I make for what our family eats are based on this question: "Would my Great Grandmother recognize what I am about to put in my mouth?"  If the answer is yes, I go for it.  So much of the food out there today is marketed so that we think we are buying a product that is good for us.  When you turn it over and look at the ingredients, it is filled with 52 unpronounceable items.  What is it we are putting in our bodies?  I make many things from scratch, and we eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

The results?  We are more in tune with our bodies.  I can easily detect when I am satisfied, and rarely overeat.  My husband comments to me all the time that he feels so good.  He says he never really recognized he felt bad until he started feeling good, because he had been used to eating poorly.  The children eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and have energy to play, without acting completely kamakazi.  But I mean let's face it- kids are (and boys in particular) wild. But there is less strange behavior.  And way less meltdowns (mom included). :)

Of course, as with anything in life, the hard part is balancing it.  I try not to be that wack-o mom that only lets her child bust into berries and homemade whipping cream for their first brithday instead of a big slice of cake.  Cake?  Yes please!!  Nothing is forced and I try to make food very much a non-issue in the house.  I provide healthy, yummy things to eat, and they are for the most part eaten.  But we do indulge in some serious desserts in moderation.  

As women, we always tend to feel guilty about something (staying home with kids vs. working outside the home, losing our tempers, not getting enough exercise, owning/wearing one too many pair of mom jeans, never making any of the items we pin on pinterest.  The bottom line is:  If you are doing your best, it is enough!  We need to give ourselves a break.  Do what you can, and don't feel guilty about the rest.  Place priorites about what you think is important, and try to stick with it and be patient when it's not perfect.  For me at this stage in life, my priorities are my family, feeding them right, and teaching my children how to be good people.  

We've since added another little boy, and the nutrition thing is a work in progress.  I sometimes make a heavy, rock hard bread wad instead of real bread, and on occassion I do purposely feed my kids goldfish.  But we are still alive.  And thriving!  And for me, that is enough. 



Isn't she great?  Thank you again Austyn for sharing your story on my blog! 

Do you know someone (they don't have to be a blogger) that is an amazing Mormon Woman like Austyn? If you do than have them contact me because we all have something to share and this just may be the perfect place to do that. :)