Sunday, September 2, 2012

So long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu

 Let me start off by saying: yes I did have to look that up to spell it correctly. :)  I think in music lyrics from the Sound of Music (and tons of other genres too...for instance the title of my blog is from a John Mayer song...but you already knew that right?)  a lot for some reason.  But to get to the point.  I am saying good bye to the blog world.  I some times have a hard time making decisions.  I second guess myself.  I doubt myself.  I wonder if the feelings I am having are the Spirit directing me or...just me.  I am starting to realize a decision that I almost made back in the Spring is one I should have made.

Several months ago, I toyed with the idea of going private or not even blogging at all.  I felt like I should not spend so much time blogging.  The reason I started doing it (to have a journal/scrapbook/way to keep in touch) has long since fallen by the wayside.  The whole keeping up with our families life part of my blog is always an afterthought and me trying to catch up.  I find myself snapping a picture and wondering if it will be good enough to put on my blog..which is a strange thing to worry about because I am not a photographer and I am really taking pictures to hold on to memories.  I sometimes think about doing a post so much that I can't remember if I have or not...because it was important and I wanted to but...did I ever get around to it?  I posted it in my head the day it happened (whatever it may be depending on the day) and have to look back on my blog to see if I ever got around to it. 

Then the thought crosses my mind: maybe I should just write in a journal and then I know I will always that I did in fact document that memory.  What a novel idea...Write it down the actual day it happens.  It is crazy that such an idea would pop into my head when our latter day prophets remind us all the time that we should be doing it.

 President Spencer W. Kimball said: "On a number of occasions I have encouraged the Saints to keep personal journals and family records. I renew that admonition. We may think them is little of interest or importance in what we personally say or do—but it is remarkable how many of our families, as we pass on down the line, are interested in all that we do and all that we say.

With that being said I am going to get back to writing to and for the people I originally started blogging for: me, my family, my posterity...

 I also really need and want to work on my weight loss.  I am getting rid of time consuming, non-essential distractions and blogging topped the list.  I need to focus more on getting up and moving, rather than sitting down and blogging.  I need to simplify.  Have less distractions.  Blogging (along with Pinterest...but lets face it I can get on there and look for 5 minutes and move along.  With blogging I can't do that.  Yes, I am justifying but I am not ready to go completely cold turkey with my "vice's" so don't judge me.)


I will still be doing my blog S.O.O.N.- Something out of nothing to try to start selling some of the things I have been refinishing, but that is not very time consuming.  Blogging has become time consuming.  I am always playing catch up.  I rarely have time to post and have even less time to check out the blogs of friends I am trying to keep in touch with.  There are other things that I need to focus on.  My family, homeschooling, exercising, moving in a couple of weeks...Life is busy and although I have loved blogging I can see where I have let other more important things go to write a post or upload a million pictures.  I am going to journal.  I am going to print a photo book at the end of the year and I am going to be happy. :)  I will still be checking all the blogs of friends I have known or met through blogging.  I will still have an email so if you want to know how life is going for the Harmon family than you can shoot me an email.  I may even send an occasional email with a family photo-each one with me shrinking I hope.  :)  It is time to put the focus where it needs to be.  I have loved learning, sharing, and getting to know so many of you.  Thank you for your friendship.  In a couple of days I am going to make my blog completely private until Aaron can upload it or whatever you do to save it...It is sad that after 5 years of blogging I don't know all the lingo!  Luckily I have a husband who isn't as computer illiterate as me!

The scene from my favorite movie (You've Got Mail) keeps popping in my head when Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) is standing in her little empty bookshop for the last time.  (Seriously if you haven' t seen that movie please go watch it for me okay?).  In an email prior to this she says that her closed shop will be something depressing like a Baby Gap.  I will miss blogging but I feel happy (not depressed)  that I have met so many amazing people.  That I have kept in touch with people that I don't have to say I "used to be friends with until we/they moved" because we blogged.  I have documented memories.  I have gotten brave enough to start homeschooling because I felt empowered by the support in the blog world.  I have become brave enough to take something I love and try to make it into a little business.  I have become brave enough to know that I don't have to blog to be heard.  I feel like this last post should be more impressive than this is but this is all I've got.  The decision is made-for sure this time-and there is no turning back now!

Thank you for the memories and who knows someday I may be back.  Because let's face it I do always have One More Thing....to say. :)