Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wordful Wednedsday: Where I am from...


Oh Cocoa is making us dig deep this week...She is a natural writer and things like poetry seem to just flow from her.  Me...not so much.  I was going to pass on this one but than I decided to give it a shot (thanks to Meg over at Once Upon A Time.  She has a fear of writing poetry and she faced it head on and did an amazing job.  I figured if she is brave I will be too.)

The topic is to write a poem in the style of George Ella Lyon's "Where I am from".  This is so hard because it is so good....I am scared and did not even plan on doing this until this very moment so there are no drafts and trying to make it better...In other words just don't judge my poem on how good theirs are....Here goes...

Where I am from...

I am from mayflowers and Memorial Day
from barefoot skipping through dewy grass.
From scraped knees and treetops watching
the ladies next store hanging their laundry on the line
I am from the waving rock in the front yard
with what could only be a pickle tree growing up beside it.
I am from New England stone walls and long winters
I am from true Vermonters and  New Hampshire flat landers.
I am from the pool in Nana's back yard and the
swing made out of an old tractor seat that swung so high
you could touch the clouds with your toes.
 I am from summer days swimming in the lake,
eating smore's and playing hide-n-go-seek tag.
From winter days with Grampa pulling us on a toboggan
behind the snowmobile.  Falling off it into a big pile
cousins...

I am from not sleeping because of growing pains
From lightening bugs, and seeds that fly like helicopters
I am from walks on the railroad tracks,
playing baseball in the backyard with the neighborhood kids.
From jelly beans and popcorn dipped in red kool aid.
I am from gliders and open cockpit bi-planes doing aerobatics.
I am from painting classes, and sick days laying
under quilts at Mom's craft store.

I am from modern day pioneers
first to leave New England for the South.
From Yankee to Southern Belle wanna be.
I am from not going to church
to one that has shaped my eternity.

I am from the hottest day in August
being tied to my best friend for life
and then a year later for eternity.
I am from finding patience while we waited for
our miracle to come.
From a decade with him,
 passing so fast it is like
watching a movie being fast forwarded.
From playing in the rain, trains, building with Legos
video games, and hugs that must always be followed
by kisses.

I am from memories that will never fade
and are passed on and shared.
From faith, tears, and learning life can't be
according to my plan.
It must be according to His.
I am from learning to let go and take leaps of faith.
From self doubt to, I think I can, to "this too shall pass"...
I am from a Heavenly Father who will give me the world
if I am just willing to trust in Him
and who I am,a daughter of God.
And where I am from...

I could go on forever!!!  The memories of my life just kept popping into my head.  I am so glad I did Cocoa's Wordfull Wednesday on Where I am from.  I know my version is a lot less poem and more a rambling list of memories, some of which make no sense to anyone but a chosen few. :)  Pickle trees and tractor swings...Ah good memories.  Where are you from?  Give it a try. I think you will be surprised at what comes out.