Friday, March 2, 2012

What I learned this week...and last week...

(This is my last post of the day I swear (and I actually did this yesterday so in a way it doesn't count as wasting time today...unless you count this rambling right now...)!

1.) Math can be fun!  Especially if you use it to figure out how many flowers you will need to surprise Nee and Papa with an early Mother's/Father's day gift by filling in window boxes and pots galore...all to help brighten up the yard and help get their house sold quicker.  I am going to have to do a post and show you just how cute their house is in case you all know someone who may want to buy it. :)  For now here are pictures of the flowers...




2.) Which leads me into the next bit of yard work we did last week.  We spread out 15 yards of mulch.  That is a lot of mulch people!  In case you don't know how much it is this will give you an idea:

 Before the mulch...
 After:

We worked so hard that we all ate our own $5 foot long subway sandwich's at lunch!  You would have thought we would have slept like babies since we were so tired but we didn't.  I learned that after a whole day of back breaking yard work you are just too tired to sleep!  I also re-learned that hard work is good for the soul...

3.)  I also learned a whole lot about all the U.S. presidents last month.  Did you know that Taft got stuck in a bath tub in the White House so he got them to put in bigger ones? Did you know that most of the early presidents didn't want to be the president they just did it out a feeling of duty to their country? (Washington, Adams, Jefferson...none of them wanted to do it...Pretty different from today's politician's!)  Did you know Ronald Reagan was one of the top 5 presidents ever?...Well that one isn't a fact it is my opinion but since I have studied all the presidents it is pretty close to fact. :)  I always thought that though...I also learned that Jake knows a lot about George Washington and that doing projects is so fun.

Jake did a big poster, written report, and presentation and it was all awesome!  
 I had to get a shot of him working on it because he was having so much fun. :)

We learned about all the presidents by working together and researching all of them (I admit I have Obama and I haven't done my little report on him yet...We have to write positive things and it is a little harder for me to do that for him...).  I made up a sheet of facts to fill in and printed them off for Jake, Nee, Papa, & myself and we split them all up and did mini projects and then we came back together to present them to each other. We ended up with lots of facts, a love for our countries founding fathers, and an awesome book:

It was a 2 page mini report that I typed up (if you are interested in a copy let me know and I can email it to you).  On page 2 we were supposed to find 5 facts that we thought were interesting about the particular presidents we were researching that week.  There were so many interesting things about them that most of mine ended up looking like this:
 I got flashcards from the homeschool store and we put them in some sheets I took out of my coupon book (in other words they are in baseball card holders).  Since I got them used there were a couple missing but we are going to print pictures of them to fill it in.  We found out that my mom's encyclopedia's (from 1975) that we have been trying to get her to throw out, are too much of a treasure to part with.  We got tons of info. on most of the presidents that way.
 I had to post this one...I wish he were a live to be our president again...We really need him or someone like him right about now....

4.) I learned that once I started reading this book:

...I could not put it down!!!!!  You can't really click it to see inside...that is just the picture I found first. :)  I know I am one of the last people on earth to read this book (...Have you read it?) so you have heard this a million times probably: it is so thought provoking, scary, sad, and interesting-you should read it.  It has some violence, and I am not a violence person at all!  So much so that my husband (who started reading it before me and finished after me...) was shocked I liked it.  But it was not gruesome violence.  I could ramble on about this book but I won't...I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the rest of the series....and I can't wait to go see the movie that comes out in a couple of weeks about it!)

5.)  That working hard, even if it isn't reading books or doing worksheets, counts as homeschooling. (See 1 & 2 if you need info on why I feel this way.)

6.)  I learned that the rug my mom bought me from Ikea for $19.95 makes me really happy.  This is what it looks like:
Thanks Mom! :)

7.) I learned that Sadie think lumber and sand are comfortable:


8.) Last but not least: I learned that boys hair is just as fun to play with as girls.
                                                              The Rock Star:
The mini Flock of Seagulls....