Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 We had our traditional green breakfast this morning in honor of St. Patrick's Day.  It is usually green eggs and ham (to wish Dr. Seuss a happy b-day month at the same time), but we went with green pancakes, green eggs,  green milk and bacon.  As I was making it I got to wondering what St. Patrick's day is even about.  I know it is obviously honoring the Saint-but who is he and what did he do? Pretty sad that after 35 years on this Earth I still just wear green clothes so I don't get pinched and eat green breakfast.  I figured it was time to learn what it was really about. I turned to trusty Wikipedia and found out a little about him and the holiday in general.  St. Patrick was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken as a slave to Ireland at the age of 16.  He was told in a dream from God to flee to
the coast and he would make it back to Great Britain, which he did.  When he got back he studied to be a priest but felt called back to Ireland to "Christianise" (that is what it said on Wikipedia...I have never seen it used in that form and apparently spell check hasn't either...) the people.  This fact alone makes him a saint in my book!  Going back to the people that kidnapped you to be their slave?!  He is a great example of forgiveness.  It is said that he taught about the trinity by using a shamrock (not the lucky four leaf one obviously). I don't believe in the "trinity"-as in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost all being one.  I believe that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate people-they make up the Godhead.  They are united in purpose but they are not all one spirit.  If you want to learn more about what I, as a Latter-day Saint believe about the Godhead, In These Three I Believe by Gordon B. Hinckley is a great article that explains is very well.    Originally the color blue was associated with St. Patrick's day.  It gave the reason for it but I must admit that is when my interest started to wane and I am moving on.   It sounds like Saint Patrick was an amazing man and for that reason I raise my glass of green milk and drink it in honor of him.  I hope you have a smashing St. Patrick's Day!