Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What a difference a day makes

Thank you for those of you who reminded me I am not the only one who has those kind of days!  I needed that reminder...Today went much better than yesterday.  Tomorrow I am sure will be even better! :)

Yesterday wasn't a total bust actually.  There were parts that were pretty darn awesome.  Like the part where Jake and I sat in our PJ's in his bed studying all about Pythagoras, doing some critical thinking to figure out some pretty nerdy math stuff, and pretty much feeling like geniuses. Math month is a hit so far. When Aaron came home from school Jake couldn't wait to show him the stuff we had done.  Aaron said that he had given similar problems to his students (9th and 10th graders) and most of them couldn't figure it out.  I have to admit that I did have the answers to check ourselves as we went a long but we really didn't cheat I swear.  I would just check to make sure we were not going in the wrong direction with the patterns we thought we were finding.  It really is pretty amazing to watch someone think who is more math and science minded than I am.  Jake is a pretty smart dude.  I  may actually stop saying I hate math by the end of the month.

Isn't it funny that even though we had a great time some how the biggest part of the day I remember is the few minutes that weren't so pleasant.  Why is that?   I screamed at the top of my lungs raised my voice at Jake ...let me just sound like a 5 year old for one second: he yelled at me too!...okay I am done.  Back to being 35.  I got mad and yelled.  At which point he yelled back and then I got really mad.  And then I really yelled because I am the mom I can yell but you can't!...Not using quotes because I didn't say it but I may has well have.  I feel like this is deja vue (sp?  thanks for nothing spell check)...I have done this before?  Yep.  BUT...I took a few minutes to cool down and made Jake do the same.  Then we talked about it.  Apologized and went on with the day. 

I am not the only that has these momentary lapses in good parenting skills.  I know that.  I am still trying to figure out why as a mother I (dare I say we...) continue to beat myself up and won't let go of the mistakes...I don't always remember the parts I can say: "I did good" to. This reminds me of another quote I found on Pinterest that I am going to frame and put on the wall...as soon as I have a wall that is mine to put it on. :) 



This one made me smile and I am glad I stumbled upon it because when I have those moments of self doubt, pity, and regret this keeps coming to mind.  I am going to start being nice to myself right now by giving myself a mani/pedi and using my new $2.49 nail polish I got today. What are you going to do to be nice to yourself today?