Monday, November 5, 2012

Sleeping in, deoderant, and a mission....

Jake has suddenly taken to sleeping in.  He slept in until 8 the other morning, which is amazing because he is a butt crack of dawn kind of kid.  I am not a morning person so this makes me extremely happy.  The funny thing is that I woke up early that morning and waited around for him to get up.  We just need to coordinate our sleeping in and it will be a very good thing.  :)

Jake came to me the other day and said: "my armpits stink."  I smelt them and they didn't stink.  Not even a little bit.  But he was sure they did so we bought him some stick deodorant.  He had the axe spray but thought that since his "armpits stink" he needed the stuff like daddy.  When we were all at Target getting his deodorant and Aaron's razors he said: "won't be long until I'm shaving"...He is 11-it will be a while until he is shaving.  :)

Ever since General Conference and the announcement that young men can go on a mission at the age of 18 now I have been thinking a lot about it.  That is only 7 years away...I know it is only one year earlier and I think it is awesome...I just can't believe it is only 7 years away.  I had a dream the other night that we were packing to send Jake on his mission.  He was standing there in suit, in his 11 year old body questioning whether he should be going so young or not and I was just stuffing stuff in his suitcase telling him it was time for him to go.  I was all matter-a-fact, even excited about it....As if I would send my 11 year old boy on a mission and be happy to see him go!!!  I think my mind was trying to remind me to prepare him to go when he is 18.  Not send him off unprepared, like an 11 year old...

All this has made me realize it is time I let him grow up.  I joke with him all the time about not letting him get any taller, or how sad I will be when he doesn't want to hold my hand or hug me any more (which Jake, you promised me will never happen-you will always want to hold my hand and hug me.  I will make you read this when you change your mind...), but the truth is I am not joking.  I don't want him to grow up...but I do...but I don't. 

It is an age old dilemma I know.  I am not the only mom who has felt this way.  I am going to start embracing this whole growing up thing instead being all melancholy.  One of the best parts is that I actually believe him when he says he will always want to hug me because that is who he is.  And Jake I am going to hold you too that promise. :)