Monday, July 30, 2012

I'm a Mormon Monday: Patience, endurance, and attitude

 Welcome to I'm a Mormon Monday!  The great thing about having a blog is that you can do whatever you want because it is yours.  I decided Monday is going to be "I'm a Mormon Monday".  I am thinking this will be a good time to share beliefs, concerns, and life experiences.  One of my favorite thing about blogging is meeting new people with similar beliefs that I have learned so much from.  I am hoping for some group participation on this so don't let me down people! :)  If you are interested in guest posting let me know.  I have some friends in mind that I am hoping will be willing to share experiences that we all can relate to and learn from each other through sharing.  You don't have to be a Mormon to guest post or to join in on the conversation.  You just have to want to share something that can positively help others.  I would love to hear from other faiths.  The "I'm a Mormon" part will be when we compare our beliefs. :) 




Since this is a spur of the moment thing-like most of my ideas I thought I would start with something I have been struggling with lately.  Patience.  Patience is a state of enduring difficult circumstances.  Persevering in the face of delay or provocation with out acting on annoyance and anger (thank you wikipedia...our dictionary is packed somewhere). For anyone new to my blog I will give you a little back ground.  Three months ago we moved in with my in-laws while we our waiting to buy a home that is in short sale.  It is taking a lonnnnggg time-which we knew it would...But the house goes into foreclosure in a week and we are waiting (again) to hear from the sellers bank.  They keep putting it off.  We were supposed to hear last Tuesday...but didn't.  That was not a good day for my patience...Now we are supposed to hear for sure on Friday.  Which just so happens to be the last possible day they can get back to us before it goes into foreclosure.  If it goes into foreclosure we will basically be starting the whole months long process over again.  I have had a not so stellar attitude for the past few days.  I am stressing out!!!  I know it will work out if it is supposed to but I am kind of ready for the supposed to part to happen-LIKE YESTERDAY!!!!

When I get stressed I find myself pinning madly over at Pinterest and I found several quotes and cute things that have made me realize I need to work on my patience.  Thank you to all the creative people that make words and pictures so much easier to find....Here are a few quotes from leaders of my church that really helped put it all in perspective for me:
The devil loves it when I lose my patience because I am not a whole lot of fun to be around when I am not enduring...

Sacrifice is part of life.  Part of sacrifice is having patience.

One of my all time favorite quotes.  You will see this on my blog a lot because I have to remind myself of this daily.  This one kind of says it all.  Do I really have faith in the Lord if I am having a bad attitude while I wait for His timing?

It is funny how much not having patience lets other things creep in.   Everything seems harder with out patience.  My attitude has been in the toilet this week.  I admit it.  I haven't been the easiest person to be around lately...Sorry friends and family for my murmuring...

So instead of pinning I should have been doing this (which I finally broke down and did today...):

Love my Scripture journal.  Thanks Redheaded Hostess for sharing your amazing talents with us!



I have to admit I haven't been doing as much studying in the scriptures lately as I should be.  I just erased a sentence full of my excuses for not reading and studying but the truth is there is no excuse for it.  I can't tell you how good it felt to turn to the scriptures with a problem and to read all the blessings we are promised from the Lord if we practice patience.  So, I am working on it...and honestly I feel much better just having turned it over to the Lord.  Surprise, surprise.

I am counting down the days until we find out if the bank accepts our offer...but now I am going to have a little more patience so I don't drive myself and everyone around me crazy.  I know if I am patient and have faith, Heavenly Father will bless me and my family.  It may not always be with the blessings I am hoping for or anticipating, but I know His plans for my life are always better than mine.  If we get "our" house-amazing!  If not we will go from there.  Until we find out being impatient is not going to make the time go by any faster or any easier.  But being patient will make life easier because I will feel much better, act much better, and be blessed for enduring.
Have you ever struggled with patience?  Is there a scripture, quote, or personal experience that helped you through it?  Let's talk about it... We an learn so much from each other. :)

(One more thing....I just want to thank whoever made the cute "I'm a Mormon" graphic.  I can't find who to thank because going back to Pinterest didn't link me to anyone...Thanks for sharing your creativity and I hope you don't mind I added "Monday" to it.)