Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Reluctant Pumpkin on Halloween?

True story...This is our attempt to put Sadie in a Halloween costume my sister made for Daisy (our 1st dog-a sweet and crazy basset hound...That I miss dearly...).  After bribing her with what to be half a box of treats and struggling to get her in it, this is the best shot I got of her...Stinker.  Sadie is definitely a reluctant pumpkin.  Daisy LOVED her costume.  She would get excited when we got out the Halloween rubber maid box and pulled it out! This is the best picture I could find of her in it-I guess we hadn't put the hat on yet.  I went back as far as I could on my computer digitally.  I actually have years I didn't take a picture of her in it!!!!  What was I thinking?  Don't let her pitiful Basset Hound face fool you-she was having a ball!  The only time she got more excited was Christmas.  You think I am joking?  She knew which stocking was hers (and she didn't even begrudge Emily too much when she had to share it with her.  Emily was our second sweet dog, a black lab who was arguably the most obedient dog to walk the earth,  we had to put to sleep at the age of 5 1/2 because she had cancer.)  Dogs are so much smarter than people give them credit...Or at least that is what I thought until we got Sadie...JUST KIDDING! sort of...She is only 10 months old so she has time to grow up and make us proud. 

 Here we are dressed up for our Halloween Family Home Evening Party.  Jake didn't want to wear his Renaissance costume so he dug in the Halloween box and wore his Harry Potter robe backwards with my old "Spider Queen" cape (every year I say I am not dressing up and at the last minute Jake talks me into it.  I found the cape for $3 at Walmart on year and we have used it over and over again!) and large spider he put on his walking stick.  He was a Spider Wizard or something like that.  Aaron took the picture because his "costume" was too warm so he had to change out of it.                                     
 He had on one (yes he has more than one...WAY more than one) Star Wars t-shirts on and his flannel Star Wars PJ pants (that wast he part that was too warm). He was "dressed up" as a Star Wars fan.  And he didn't want to let down his title of our resident PTPP, so he wouldn't pose for any pictures.  He claimed he did this so that I could be in the pictures since I never am.  I am the official picture taker-he should know this by now...
Dad dressed up as a Pilot.  He had on his old flight suit and Jacket from when he did airshows in his Pitts Special plane.  You didn't know my dad was a famous stunt pilot on the side of being a corporate pilot did you?  I will save that for another post and sadly it was well before the days of You Tube so you can't go look him up or anything.  I will fill you all in later, I promise....Along with the post about what I carry in my big purses that I carry that Melissa asked me to blog about over a year ago...I will add it to the list...I am a slacker I know.
 I kind of love this picture.  I stole that camera from Aaron because he just wasn't getting the shots I was looking for...I am picky about my memories, so sue me!  I was doing the classic one handed shot of Jake and I when Aaron crept up behind us to recreate one of our all time favorite pictures....That I will have to add to my list of posts to do in the future because I cant' find the picture at the moment.  I have too many pictures to figure out where it could possibly be.  I will have to hunt for it because it cracks me up!!! 
Since we missed the Ward Trunk-or-Treat and even though our lights were out the doorbell was still ringing (it wasn't quit dark enough for lights out to ward people off yet) we went out side to unload some of our candy before it got dark and so Jake could run across the street and next door to our neighbors that would miss him if he didn't stop by.  He was happy with the ring pop and chocolate and we headed inside for our party. 
Aaron frosted the cupcakes so I knew he couldn't protest or put his hand up to stop me.  Have you ever heard of the new Betty Crocker cupcake mix called "Fun-da-middles"?  They were on sale and I had a coupon that doubled so I got the box for around $0.50.  We decided that Halloween was a good excuse to try them, especially since this was our first year without a big bag of candy to dig through. 
I admit that carving a pumpkin on Halloween may be a little late but come on it is still fun, right?  None of the party poopers in my house wanted to do it so the tradition is now 2 years in the past...We have decorated cupcakes the past 2 years so I guess that is our new tradition...I really wanted to carve this pumpkin and I even go the pumpkins to do it.  I think I will just do this instead.  And then make some of this.  I am not going to tell you what it is because I have already told you about my friends awesome new blog and I want you to go check it out...If you are interested enough to see what I am going to do you will have to go see her blog. :)  Aren't I tricky?  You will love the idea I promise!  It will be worth your 5 minutes to check it out!!!  Don't you love the spider cape?  Jake was working hard on his pumpkin cupcake in this picture. :)  (I am a chronic "linker"...I know it's sad...)



 The Fun-da-middles got a thumbs up from all of us.  I am sure you could easily make this with a regular cake mix and pudding but you couldn't have gotten both of those for $0.50! I love a good deal.  I am not a huge chocolate fan but I liked them.  We all so go the vanilla cream filled ones.  We will have to try to those next because those would be right up my alley! 










Papa decided to decorate his to give to Jake.  Jake didnt' mind that at all!
After that we played a fun game.  We all wrote down what we thought would be a good Halloween costume.  Then you stick a paper on your forehead without being able to see who you are.  You then ask yes or no questions to figure out who you are.  I probably didn't have to go through that whole explanation because you have probably heard about it before...At least in 20 years we will be able to remember what the heck we were doing. :)

 Aaron was thrilled to play this game you can tell. :)  Poor guy.  We are all counting down the days until working 3rd shift is OVER!!!!  He is such a good sport to play a silly game when all he really wanted to do was relax and go to bed early on one of his 2 nights at home.  You rock Aaron!  Even with puffy, tired eyes you are adorable. 

  I know I could have retaken this so his eyes would have been open but I kind of love this picture.  Jake was so excited to play this game and see who he was.  It took him a long time to figure out he was himself.  Gotta love the leftover cupcake on this face.  



 Jake and I had the same idea as you can see.  Only I didn't spell Vader right...Not sure what I was thinking.  I guess I am just not
 the Star Wars fan that the guys in my house are.
 ***Temporary subject change:  Can I just tell you after starting to blog in 2008 (...I know that doesn't show up on my blog anymore...Long story...) and I just now figured out how to get the pictures and words to go together and not take up so much space.  I am computer illiterate.  I'm okay with that.  The real problem is that it is probably a fluke that I will never be able to accomplish again...I will keep my fingers crossed.***



Jake did my good idea for a costume tag.  I finally figured it out when he told me that I had been it before...Since it is a made up character it was very helpful to get that information.  :)
All in all our first Halloween without trick-or-treating was pretty darn fun!  I did realize as we were playing our game and laughing...that I was really getting tired of having to take my inhaler after just laughing.  I have been having to take it 3 to 5 times a day for the past few weeks even though I am taking the miracle drug for asthmatics: Advair.  I bit the bullet and headed to the doctor the next day and had my first breathing treatment (double dose...) in something like 17 years.  It turns out that although the antibiotics did get rid of my walking pneumonia, I didn't do what my doctor said and take it easy...I ended up weakening my lungs and my fall allergies kicked in before my lungs were ready for it.  I am on some heavy duty steroids (not that muscle building illegal ones don't worry. :) ) and I have to go back to see her on Friday. I can't tell you how awesome it is to be able to breath again.  I am taking it easy this time because I don't want to get permanent damage and I was threatened that I must do so all the way from the Ukraine, by my mom...so I am being good.  Papa has been a life saver with Aaron's crazy schedule and took Jake to the Kid's Advisory Board he is apart of at the Library and to cub scouts tonight.  Thanks Dad!

I take it all back about figuring out how to line the picture and text up to take up less space.  It worked for the first half...not so much for the second half.  I jinxed myself yet again.  Maybe next time!