Sunday, October 30, 2011

Putting Pinterest ideas to the test and cheering up a friend.

Yes, I am addicted to Pinterest.  In order to make my self feel less guilty about it I have been putting some of the amazing ideas to the test.  I will admit that I did pick some pretty easy ones, but you have to start some where right?  I already did the chore magnets and cute laminated room cleaning check lists, so I figured one more easy one would seal the deal.  Introducing the $0.96 (there really should be a cent symbol on the computer...) soap holder turned card holder:
Smart, easy, and cheap.  That is right up my alley.
The next thing I tested out was this:
Yes, the concept worked, but I am adding a step so I don't have to rub my skin raw trying to get off all the extra nail polish.  I put Aquaphor (you could use Vasaline) all around my finger (except the nail itself) so when the nail polish dries I could just wipe it and the extra nail polish off.  It took some time but what else am I supposed to do on a night Aaron works and I can't sleep.  There isn't anything good on TV at 1:00am so I swirled my nails. :)

We also put a couple of "recipes" to the test when we went to visit Jake's buddy Corey for a "field trip".  Corey had to have surgery on Wednesday to take car of an awful broken arm (Corey on a bike vs. hill...The hill won, poor kid) and needed some cheering up, so we packed up some fun one handed science experiment and headed out. We decided if we did science experiments we could still say we homeschooled.  

Okay, so how cute is Jake?  I love that he loves to read so much that he does it in the car even though we have a portable DVD player. :)  He was finishing Seekers #1-The Quest Begins.  He started reading it a while ago but got interested in about a dozen other books. He finally came back to it and really loved it.  He wanted to finish it so that he could loan it to Corey to read.
We made a "lava lamp"-there is no lamp just lava, but it turned out very cool!
I love this picture of Jake and his lava bottle.  That makes more sense than lamp, don't you think?
We even brought a festive $0.99 (see I needed the cent symbol again!), Halloween tablecloth.  Just in case of spillage or worst case scenario: an explosion.  You never no with science experiments.  I guess you can really only call them science experiments if you include an explanation of why it works...That will be a follow up lesson-they were way to distracted. :)

We also made slime.  Don't worry they played for hours before we "forced" them to sit and do "science experiments". :)
Turns out you do need two hands to mix it.  Corey's didn't really turn out so great because of the whole "one hand" thing, so Carrie (Corey's mom.  Yep spelled the same name as me and everything.  Do you know how weird it is leaving a voice mail and saying: "Hey Carrie!  It's...Carrie...".) stepped in and tried to salvage the goop!
It didn't work so, we ended up adding all sorts of stuff to it just for the fun of it.  More glue, more borax,...and more food coloring...It looked like bleeding intestines to me...That probably really isn't what intestines would look like but with it being Halloween weekend that is what came to mind. :)
Jake decided to add some more food coloring to his too and here is another Halloween"ish" photo for your viewing pleasure.
Yes, even though he has showered and washed his hands a bagillion times he went to church today with tinted fingernail beds.  A crazy angle for a cray slime picture.  We were going for mad scientist creepy...
And just because I miss my Basset Hound (and first baby) named Daisy, I had to take a shot of their sweet doggie.  This sweet face belongs to Billy.  How cute are Basset Hounds?
  We had a ton of fun hanging with Corey-so much so that we were tired pooped to go to trunk-or-treat that night...That was Jake's decision and we didn't mind at all. :) We are skipping the whole trick-or-treat thing tomorrow and opting for a family Halloween party for FHE.  Then on Tuesday morning we are hitting the stores and getting 70% off Halloween candy (an idea that I would like to carry through to Christmas, but no one else is buying into the idea...)!  Why spend $50 to hand out candy and go to peoples houses we don't know, to get candy we may not like?  We are turning off the outside lights, carving our pumpkin (no we still haven't done that...) and planning on  what candy we really want to buy for cheap the next day.  We are kind of party poopers when it comes to Halloween I guess.  The past couple of years of Aaron in school have made us home bodies and I don't mind that at all.  When we are all home (and awake) we want to be together.  What can I say?  We like each other. :)