Tuesday, October 4, 2011

General Conference Meme...What exactly is that?


  Did you LOVE General Conference as much as I did?  Stephanie over at Diapers and Divinity is having a General Conference Meme and I just had to do it!  (No I don't really know what "Meme" means or stands for...Does that make me sound really ignorant?  Is this one of those things that when I find out what it means I go "duh...I did know that." ?  It may not always be a good thing to be honest...JK) Basically I am answering questions about what my personal highlights from General Conference are.  

I took tons of notes and was ready to hear what I needed to hear and guess what? I did.  It is so nice to know that Heavenly Father is mindful of my endless needs. :)

General Conference Highlights, October 2011:

1.  Who were your three favorite speakers?

President Packer, Elder Matthew O. Richardson, and Elder Carl B. Cook….AND Elder Ian Arden said so many things I needed to hear…AND to  be fair I missed one of my all time favorite speakers L. Tom Perry because  I was stretching out  the pizza dough…I am going to give him an honorary #4, because I am sure I am going to love it when I have a chance (very soon) to watch it…President Eyring was so wonderful too...This question is too hard.

2.  Which talk spoke to you the most?

It was a tie between my 3 favorites because they all addressed things I was praying to receive an answer about.  President Packer reaffirmed that we made the right decision to homeschool Jake.  Elder Richardson taught/reminded me how to homeschool the right way-with the help of the Holy Ghost.  He reminded me that “the Holy Ghost teaches individuals in a personal way. Teaches what we need to know, so we can be what we need to be.” I put the quotations so you would know I didn’t say this, Elder Richardson did-but maybe not in exactly those words…I took it out of my notes as I was writing feverishly because he was speaking directly to me. Sorry if you were feeling left out wondering why he was giving this talk.  :)  Elder Cook taught me to not be overwhelmed and to look up so I can be filled with peace and joy...while homeschooling…Are you seeing a pattern here?  I am struggling with this right now.  I can’t fail at this-it is way to important and self doubt (Satan really knows my weaknesses…) is a real bummer when you are doing something you have never done, (and is REALLY important) and wonder if you can do….


3.  What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you?

NO QUESTION:   Praise to the Man by the Primary.  I love     hearing the Primary children sing out their sweet testimonies.  They looked and sounded like angels.

4.  Which speaker was the best dressed?  (Come on, we can have a little fun.)

 It is always President Uchtdorf.  The striped ties he wears are always perfect-trendy, yet classic.

5.  Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often?  Any conference "themes"?

Last Conference it seemed like it was missionary work, but that could be because my parents were on a mission.  This time for me it was Being an example of Christ, using the Spirit, and  teaching/ preparing the youth/our children…Okay maybe I am just noticing all the things that I am working on or that pertain to my life…

6.  Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).

-The one by Elder Richardson that I already wrote in question #2.

-Young people today are being raised in enemy territory.  (President Packer-he said it twice to make sure we were listening.  Am I the only one that would love to just give him a big hug and say thanks for being so awesome?)

-Time flies on wings of lightening and we can not get it back.
(Elder Ian Arden)

-It is better to look up.
(President Monson via Elder Carl B. Cook.  Elder Cook seemed so nervous when he first walked up to the podium.  Maybe humble is a better word.  I beat he never would imagined what an impact his personal story would have on everyone)

-We cannot feel for, think for, or learn for those who we are teaching.
(Elder Matthew G. Richardson. His talk was meant for me!  I loved every thing he said!!!!)

7.  Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.

When President Monson walked up to the podium and said enthusiastically: “Hello!...” I was expecting something profound and it was just so…President Monson!   I loved his stories (always do) and the facial expressions he makes.


8.  Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?

Jake always pays attention when President Monson speaks. You can’t help but listen he is such a great story teller.  I have to admit I was so wrapped up in waiting to hear the answers to my questions/concerns I didn’t notice his reactions…I know he made comments and repeated stories, but I can’t think of what they were about.  Wow…I think we need to talk about it tomorrow so I won’t feel like such a slacker mom….

9.  What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?

This is a tough one-there are so many things!…I especially felt the Spirit when the Primary sang Praise to the Man.  I already knew Joseph Smith was a Prophet but it just reminded me of our ward Primary as they were learning that song this year.  They all loved it, begged to sing it, and sang their little hearts out when they did.  Primary children sing their testimonies-you can just feel that they know it is true.  It reminded me that we all need to be as little children.

I was also very touched as President Eyring talked about his struggle to “fulfill his duty” when he spoke at a College graduation.  His talk really reminded me how we must stand as an example of Christ always. 

10.  Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?

Absolutely!  I always think of music as the part that makes us realize all the spoken words we have heard are true.  You can hear it spoken and know it is true, and then when you sing it or hear  it sung you feel it’s truth again even more strongly.

11.  What are some of your post-conference goals?

I have a ton of goals.  This is the 3rd quarter comeback after all!  I want to use my time more wisely, I want to teach by example, I want to remember it is better to look up…etc.

If you would like to (and I know you do) share what you learned and loved about Conference than head over to Diapers and Divinity and share it with others!  Think of how much we can learn from each other!!!! 

Update: I looked up Meme.  Aren't I so smart?  A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena.