Monday, November 21, 2011

Last week I learned...

*I take too many pictures...But I already knew that.  I can't help it.  I have a horrible memory and taking pictures helps.  If I see the picture it jogs that memory back into place so that I remember it.  That makes sense right?  And it sound like as good as an excuse as any that I can think of as to why I am addicted to documenting the tiny little moments in life with a photo of it.  Needless to say this is an intro into yet another post filled with pictures that you will probably look at and wonder why in the world did I bother post it.  I did it for me.  To remind myself that I accomplished something, I taught/learned something, I...did something.  Last Tuesday I decided we should switch
rooms with Jake.  We sleep in our room. Jake plays with his toys, hangs out and sleeps in his room.  We had a big room and he had a little one.  Of course he does sleep on a queen size bed so that takes up a lot of the little space he had. We spent the day, with Papa G.'s help (glad he didn't have big plans that day!) moving furniture.  I haven't taken a picture of the after of our new room yet.  I did Jake's because we of course finished his first.   He has even more posters and posters on the wall since I took these pictures.  And we have organized his shelving a little more since this picture was taken-we still have some major work to do on that project.  Jake is thrilled that
he know has a table in his room that he can use to homeschool..which hasn't happened yet since it has been covered with Lego's since we brought it in his room.  He has room for his desk (there are actually 2 desks in his room right now.)  He is so lucky he even has a TV in his room.  He can't watch TV on it because it isn't hooked up, but there is a DVD player.  The only reason he has a TV in his room is because our massive TV armour  (that I LOVE and Aaron finished it) has no other place to go.  He can only watch a DVD when he is given permission to do so.  I didn't include the picture taken from that angle


because I figured 2 was enough.  We popped pop corn and he watched (I watched some of it but had 
to put all our clothes in  our dressers and closet so I could sleep on our bed that night.) the first Harry Potter movie to celebrate his new room.

*I also learned that Science and Social Studies are included on the EOG's in the 5th grade...Good to know. I had a moment of anxiety when I found that out and realized that we haven't really covered anything they want us to cover in S.S. yet and only one topic in Science.  But then I reviewed the list of
what he needs to know, remembered that he is a smart kid, took a deep breath, and got to work. I mapped out what he needs to learn for S.S. and we are going to be able to finish it by the middle of April 
with out any problem..and that is taking more time than we really need to cover it all. I am going to work on our Science plan tomorrow.  Any homeschooling Mom's out there that use a lesson plan book that they really like?  If so please share your knowledge with me!!!  I am using a planned that is kind of working... Also: What is your schedule like?  We have tried about 1 million so far (that may be a conservative number...) and we are still not feeling it...help please. :)   

*I learned or should I say was reminded that running and jumping in leaf piles is one of the best things in the world to do and that Jake is adorable.  Fall is my very favorite season...

*I learned that Jack Prelutsky is a genius, has a very cool website, wrote an awesome book called:  Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to write a poem ,  and is one of my favorite poets.  He is hysterical.  Am I the only person in the world who hadn't heard of him?  Where have I been?!?! We have been taking notes on his awesome poem writing tips and writing our own poems.  I also learned that I can write a pretty good funny poem...Serious ones? Not so much but crazy silly ones?  I just may publish a book and dedicate it to good old Jack. :)  Jake also told me writing is "my thing".  How sweet is that?  Jake is working hard on his poems right now as we speak.  We were supposed to have this whole week off but we had to make up for the moving furniture day in which only a little bit was accomplished school wise.
This is a picture of Jake working hard on a poem last week.  See our leaves in the background by our pens and pencil holder?  We got those and were going to identify all the different kind of trees on our street...We still  have to do that...And yes Jake STILL needs a hair cut...

*I learned that you really can make anything out of duct tape.  Jake and Papa made a barometer last week and used some of our neon green duct tape to hold it together.  The air pressure (isn't that what a barometer measures?  I haven't been listening in on their science lessons on weather as you can tell) either
hasn't changed much around here in the past week...or it doesn't really work.

*I learned that I REALLY needed the Relief Society (this will explain to you what R.S. is if you scroll down the page a little) activity we had on Saturday at church.  We had a lesson on candy making (got some great tips and ideas),  how to have a more Christ centered Christmas (this lesson was based on the same book  that we are using for our FHE  for the next 7 weeks before Christmas...Yep it is only 7 weeks away...Scary right?), and we did a fun craft
 that I can't post a picture of because it may or may not be a gift I will be giving out this year for Christmas...It was all so great! But the best part was being able to sit and talk to my friends.  Did I mention that I got released from the Primary Presidency last Sunday?  I love primary!  But it is so time for me to be with adults again. :)


*I also learned that I could have 3 dogs. Two big dogs and one little one would be perfect.  Or maybe small, medium, and large.  We dog sat for Nana again and we really miss Pooha and Penny since we brought them back.  Especially Sadie-she had a ball with Penny.  Pooha and Penny slept in Jake's room and Sadie didn't even care that there wasn't room for another big dog on Jake's bed.  She was out cold  (every night after playing all day), on her bed in the sun room not even aware of what anyone (dog or human was doing)  The first picture (all the way back at the top) is a picture of Penny..Pooha is in it too but she is too little to see-she was laying behind Penny.  Sadie and Pooha shared a nap one day...Usually Pooha didn't want to have a whole lot to do with our silly puppy.  Seriously how cute are these two together?  Dogs are the best.  Sadie will be excited to see Penny and the other Harmon family dogs for Thanksgiving.  It is hard to believe it is Thanksgiving when it is 76 degrees out today.  Really 76?  I am soooo ready for chilly weather.  We had a couple of days of chilly and it was such a tease!  Funny how in July and August I would be dying for 76 degrees...