Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years ago today...

..Jake was two weeks old and I thought the world was crashing in around our little family. I remember it like it was yesterday! It was the first day Jake was fussy and I am sure it is because I spent the day in tears and couldn't keep my eyes off the TV. I remember I was on the way to the bank when I heard on the radio that a plane had hit the first tower. I called my mom and she turned on the news. When I got to the bank I sat down to do something about my 401k, my mom called me and said that a second plane had hit the other tower so now they knew it was terrorist attack. I was shocked and told the lady that was helping me what was happening and she was like "oh, okay." That was it! I wanted to yell at her "No it is not okay lady! Did you hear what I just said!!!" I left and went right home hoping to hear better news. From the moment I got home and for the rest of that day and most of the night, I rarely took my eyes off the TV screen. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Aaron worked near downtown Charlotte and I was worried that with all the bank headquarters that are located there, that something could happen there too. My mom came over just so we wouldn't have to watch it all alone. My mother-in-law called me and told me we could come down there to Spartanburg to get a way from the city if we felt like we needed too. My Dad (who is a pilot) was stuck in Canada because all air traffic was grounded. I remember watching the towers fall one at a time and I wept as I wondered how many people lost their mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers. I was mad to hear that the Pentagon was hit too. I was sick to my stomach as I thought what those poor people on flight 93 had to do to make sure their plane didn't kill more people than it had too. What courage they had to have had to get through those moments of complete terror. I remember President Bushes face as he was sitting in a inner city school when he got the news that our country was under attack. I couldn't help but watch Fox News this morning as they recapped some of the most major events of that day. I do every year and I will as long as they show it. I don't want to ever forget how I felt that day. I am so proud to be an American and no matter what happens that will never change. I am thankful that President Bush worked hard to keep us all protected and I pray that President Obama does the same. I am thankful to our Troops, Homeland Security, Firefighters, and Police officers that put their lives in danger so we don't have to. We are safe because of them and I pray for them daily. Jake went to school on this Patriot Day with his flag shirt on knowing what a significant day this is and wanting to be a part of remembering those who died as well as those who lived. We talk about it every year and we always will. Eight years ago today my sweet boy was two weeks old and I wondered what this scary world would hold for him. It is still scary and I still worry. But when I look in Jake's eyes and imagine his future I can't help but feel hope and peace. His future is bright and we are lucky to live in the greatest country on the planet.