Saturday, December 31, 2011

Vermont photo drop #5....

Almost done....Aaron and Jake checking out a cool book that Uncle Dave and Aunt Robin gave him for his b-day.
Lunch on Saturday of Jake's b-day weekend was nachos.
He got some awesome gifts.




For his b-day breakfast he wanted pancakes.  He also had a biscuit that was leftover from the day before.
This big cake was ready for his b-day party that didn't really get to happen because of Hurricane Irene.  We were expecting almost 20 family members so we had a feast planned but the Irene REALLY hit big time.  So we had a lot of cake. :)




This is just the beginning of the flooding at the lake....

Us eating the very large cake...Warning the next picture is my head injury (you can read more about it if you click on this link.  I was a guest blogger on one of my favorite blogs, Welcome to the Madness and I wrote about it there.) so if you may want to skip it.
This is the gash on my head I got when we were going out to see how bad the flooding was and I slipped on the grass and smashed my head on the bottom step.  Luckily our next door neighbor is a retired nurse and took care of me.  Jake freaked out poor kid.  I should have gotten stitches but all the roads out were closed so I couldn't.  Which was perfectly fine with me because I didn't want them to shave part of my hair to do it.
Random picture...A dog that may be Sadie's older brother from the litter before hers.  The owner (in NH) got him from a shelter that said he was from SC.  He looked and acted a lot like Sadie.  What are the chances?  My dad met him while exchanging the propane tanks for the grill and I had to go back and meet him, since he is practically family. :)
The last creamy: Raspberry and Lemon twist.  It was totally redonk. :)
We got it a couple days after the hurricane when we were out seeing the damage....Here is some of it...

This is usually not this high...You will just have to take my word on that.  I have no before to show you....
This however I do.  This is 2 or 3 days after the Hurricane hit....See where the yellowish water is hitting the bubbly stuff?
This is us swimming there maybe the week before.  It is taken from a different angle but I think you can see just how much the water was up...In fact the picture above was after the water was going back down....




In this picture you can see the current from what is usually a little stream that comes into the lake...It was a raging river on Jake's b-day.
Later that evening when the water was coming up over the deck.  The dock itself was already under water.
Aaron goofing off...
The day after Irene hit...
The dock to the left of the fishing boat is usually all the way up to the big rock but it had floated out.

Jake and Nee went out on a walk to see if the road to Camp was washed out (luckily it wasn't) and picked me some flowers to make me feel better.  This is the worst picture in the history of the world of me so you can tell how much I loved my wildflower bouquet if I am posting it.  I had slept hardly at all because of my head...
Jake bought is first pocket knife while we were there (it got confiscated at the airport in the Ukraine on my mom's return trip from visiting Tina...It was in Jake's backpack that he let Nee use to go to the Ukraine and it made it all the way there undetected...That is comforting isn't it?  It was what she used as her carry on.) and he whittled a walking stick that he was very sorry to have to leave behind.  I took a lot of pictures so he would remember it.




Heading home... We stopped to say one last goodbye to Grampa Smith.  Jake evidently had packed all his long pants and had to put a sweatshirt on his legs to keep warm...

Four generations...
Grampa Smith and Nee...
Grammie Beth and Jake...
Grampa Smith's workshop.  It was my mom's and her siblings playhouse when she was growing up.
I really am almost done.  I decided I had to post some of my mom's because we did so much more than what I have posted....Bear with me.  Some of these posts will never be seen by any one but me (until I print it into a book) because I have done so many that they are already showing up as older posts.  I don't mind though because I will be able to say I finished doing it before the year ended...Just barely!