Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Brain Declutter: Recipes, Tree Limbs, Birthdays, Maxi Skirts, etc.

My brain is full of things that need to come out, so I will just dive in and do some decluttering. . .

*We tried 2 new recipes from Pinterest last week and they were both keepers. The first one I made was Chile Colorado Burritos.  It was yummy, but we all agreed would be better if we added some rice and maybe black beans.  The flavor was great though and is already written in my recipe folder/book.

The second recipe was DIVINE.  We all LOVED it.  I didn't measure all the ingredients exactly (a little extra cheese and garlic have never hurt a recipe) and it was still A-MAZ-ING!  I immediately wrote it in my recipe book so we wouldn't forget about it. . .I should probably tell you what is that was so delicious...It is called Chicken Garlic Alfredo Lasagna Roll-ups. . .And I just tried to link it and it says the blog it was on can't be found!!!  I am soooo glad I have it written down or I would probably cry.  The garlic Alfredo sauce was amazing.  Aaron had it for lunch at work the next day and said it was even better the second time-lasagna usually is.  If you are interested in the recipe I will give it to you but I don't feel like typing it right now. . .so here are some pictures instead!  I have no idea why, but I love to take pictures of food!  Does this picture drive anyone crazy?  Does the OCD in you wish I made some kind of pattern with the rolls?  I have OCD but this kind of thing doesn't bug me.
 After it has been smothered with cheese and baked. . .
 And on the plate. . .It is heavenly. . .

 *Aaron decided he would hobble around on his ankle with Matt this weekend and cut down what appears to be the forest that was our backyard. . .


*I am thrilled with the fact that people will see the huge piles of branches on the curb, in front of our house (our town has a truck that randomly comes and picks it up and takes it away.), when they come for Jake's birthday party on Friday.  That was sarcasm, if you didn't catch that. . .This is the lovely pile, in front of our cute little house:
*I am glad it is done and I am crossing my fingers the truck comes and picks it up this week. . .but I am not holding my breath.

*Jake had his last day in Primary Sharing Time.  It is bittersweet. My baby will be 12 years old tomorrow.  He will be getting the Priesthood tomorrow night in our home.  He is thrilled-we all are! Last Wednesday night when he left the Bishop's office after his interview he was beaming.  When Aaron got home, Jake strutted up to him and said, "future Priesthood holder here" with a big grin on his face.  Did I say bittersweet? Yep.

*I need to stop typing and go out and do some b-day prepping!!!!

*SSShhhhhh!  Jake is getting a trampoline for his birthday.  Nana and Papa had one in their yard that ripped so they took it down.  They offered us the base and we just have to get the replacement mat (a gift from us, and both sets of grandparents).  While I was online looking at replacement mats, I saw this amazing dealing on the net enclosures:

 *That was also sarcasm.  A penny. . .Really?

*I have been on a mission, as you know to organize my house.  I can't wait to be done so I can decorate it!!!  It took a little detour today (I do that all the time. . .like for example: me blogging right now. . .that is another detour), and took a few minutes to start the mantel decor makeover.  I loved this mantel so I did my own version with things I already have.  I have a picture and quote to print to finish it, for now.  It is amazing how much better I feel when things are pretty. . . {sigh}
I will post the after at some point. . .
 
*Simple pleasure: My dutch oven that Aaron and Jake got me for Mother's Day.  I know I have talked about it and posted pictures of it before...but I just love it.  I use it ALL the time.  Even when I am making box mac & cheese. . .Yes, I took a picture of it.  It makes me happy.  I photograph things that make me happy. :)
*I discovered why I love maxi skirts the other day.  It just came to me while I was wearing my gray {love} maxi and it was swishing around my legs as I walked and I held it up as I went up steps. . .I felt a bit Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne Shirley, Jane Eyre, or Elizabeth Bennett as I was wearing it.  I felt a bit more lady like.  As I saw women walking around in hoochie shorts and tank tops, I felt my maxi shirt at my ankles and imagined I lived in a time when you didn't see a lady spit on the road or curse like a sailor.  For a moment I imagined myself in a time when morals, values, and feminine virtues were important, respected and most of all expected.  I need to get more maxi skirts before they go out of style.  They are always going to be in my closet.
*Our front porch has this yucky green turf stuff on it. . .I am getting ready to take it off and I can't wait. . .
*Isn't amazing how you notice all the things you need and want to do to your house when you know people are coming to it?