Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Found in a fern...

My mom got me this beautiful fern for our front porch.  I water it every other day, but lately when I do the water kind of falls over the sides.  Not to mention that every time we leave the house (or come into the house) a bird flies wildly from it....
So, we took it down yesterday to investigate the inevitable....

It is so lovely!  I couldn't get a great picture because I was rushing, but they are beautiful.  It is amazing that they are different sizes and that the larger ones have a lot more speckles.  There is a dilemma that comes along with this little miracle...Make that 3 dilemma's.  First is the watering.  I have no idea how they haven't been washed out yet or how to water the fern now that I know they are in there.  I am going to have to take it down every time to make sure I am not watering them.  I also wonder how the little nest isn't soaking up some of the water itself and how it effects the egg.  Second, there is the matter of all the poop that will come if /when the eggs hatch?  Have you ever seen what the surroundings of a nest looks like after the eggs hatch?  The poop is every where, and I am not sure, but I don't think that is going to be very good for my fern.  Last, there is the fear that a snake will find their home and try to eat the eggs/babies.  I have known people that have seen a black snake crawling up into their bird houses to eat the baby birds...I already had a snake hanging over the back porch and I don't think I would survive one on the front.  I would have to move to far, far away to a place where there are no snakes.  Not sure what to do...Any suggestions?