Friday, November 28, 2014

This is what 13 looks like...

I love this face and because of that I have a hard time picking my favorite.  So that being said-here are several of my favorite:


This is what 13 looks like.  Jacob Aaron Harmon born at 10:21 pm on Tuesday, August 28, 2001...Wow...13 years have flown by!  We of course take pictures on his birthday but August is too hot to get out and have a photo shoot so we always wait until the fall.  This picture is definitely one of my favorites.

This boy still loves his Lego's and I don't think that will ever stop.  He LOVED the Lego Movie that came out at the beginning of this year.  He loves Lego Ninjago and I do too.  We still sit down on the floor in his room and play with Lego's.  Jake also loves the movie "How to Train Your Dragon 2" (he loved 1 also of course!).  He is thrilled that the 3 Hobbit movie is coming out next month-but even more so that the next Star Wars comes out next year!



Some of his is favorite music to listen to on his Kindle Fire is the Hobbit soundtrack and the Ninjago songs.  How cool is that?  He doesn't like to sing along to songs on the radio in the car as much as he used but sometimes I make him do it and it is always fun.  He told me not too long ago that he sometimes listens to songs and doesn't think they sound right, then he realizes what's missing and it is me singing along.  I asked him if that bugged him that I am always singing along and he said I didn't and that he liked it when I did.  He sure knows how to make him mom feel good!  Have I mentioned how much I love this young man and how proud of him I am?


Jake's favorite books are the three books in the Eragon series.  He is a big reader and will definitely read past his bedtime!  He is becoming a great writer too and that is pretty awesome for a math and science guy.  He wants to be an air and space Engineer when he grows up.  He would like to go to the University of SC and be a Gamecock after he serves a two year mission for our church.


Children LOVE Jake!  There are little boys at church that love to wave to Jake when he is passing the sacrament and they really look up to him.  I think they like him because he talks to them as he would anyone else and he shows interest in what they want to tell him all about.  He also makes them laugh.  He is a great buddy to his little cousin Jaxson and I am sure he will be to Parker and Owen as they get bigger (and Braeden when he is back in the country!).  Jake was laying on the floor at Nana and Papa's today and Jaxson came over to him and flopped down on him and said "I like you" and then gave Jake a big hug and kiss.  Jake and Jaxson spent most of the day playing with cars in the dirt while Jake made roads.
Jake is going to be a great dad some day because he makes everyone feel important and he loves to use his imagination.


Jake's favorite colors are black and green.  His favorite ice cream (from the grocery store) is Breyer's Cookie Dough.  He loves very chocolatey chocolate milk and hot chocolate.


His favorite restaurant Taco Dog (it is here in Spartanburg and Jake says they have the best cheese dip.  They sell taco's and hot dogs there) and his favorite meal at home is Creamy Crockpot Chicken.  He is really becoming a great cook and although he isn't a fan he is a great table clearer and dishwasher.


Jake loves to wear the same clothes as long as possible and is going through a very stinky feet phase.  (I have to keep it real because no one is perfect!)  He almost got grounded once because his room was so stinky (even after he thoroughly cleaned it) that I told him if he didn't locate the stink he would have no screen time for 2 weeks (I thought for sure there was a cup he drank milk out of or old food hidden somewhere!)!  When we finally realized it was his shoes he was off the hook and his shoes immediately got Febrezed and put on the back porch!  Hahahaha!  In twenty years we will be so glad I posted this!


Jake is pretty darn patient for the most part but being stubborn at times comes natural (from both sides of the family!).  He is kind of a negotiator-always asking for one second or one minute.  He gets that from me.  I have no idea where he gets it! 


He recently had his first cavity filled and faced his fear of needles rather than opting for the laughing gas, which is pretty brave.  He has since finished off a bottle of Crest Pro Clinical (or something like that-it strengthens, rebuilds, etc.) mouthwash to prevent a spot the dentist said could turn into another cavity. 


Jake likes to ride his bike, is saving for 1/2 a Wii U (Aaron is saving for the other part), loves Puff Corn, loves to jump on his trampoline and play in the leaves with Sadie, is starting to like sleeping in (YESSSS!) and is almost as tall as me.  He is soooo close but I will not concede until it is obvious because I am not ready for him to be that tall.  His voice cracked for the first time this week and he is actually starting to get blonde peach fuzz on his upper lip. 


He is amazing and even though I tell him that I don't always thank him for it.  I also expect too much from him sometimes because even though he is really smart and pretty mature, he is still a kid that doesn't know everything yet.  But I am going to keep expecting a lot because he can do anything!



Jake is getting braver when he tries new things-like ice skating and roller skating.  He has only done then both combined a few times and was very nervous to let go of the wall.  This week he went ice skating for the first time since last winter and he held on to the wall for a little bit and then just let go and did great!  He is believing in himself more and that is amazing to see. 


Jake can really make us laugh (dancing to a hidden camera-Daddy's phone-while playing "Just Dance" on the Wii) and always makes us smile.  When he is excited about something it is all he can talk about and it is enough to drive a person crazy at times!  But it is also hard not to love his enthusiasm.  He loves to swim, chew gum, talk to anyone who will listen, and wave to random people which always puts a smile on their face. 


He has a great smile but sometimes while taking pictures he clenches his teeth in a cheesy grin that makes me laugh.  I tried to filter through those shots but this one is on the verge of a clench. :)


Jake is a conservative through and through.  He has no problem letting people know where he stands and doesn't give in to peer pressure.  I have seen him turn a situation that was bordering on bullying into a situation where the older boy could do nothing but watch Jake walk away confidently, completely unfazed.  But make not mistake he is a softy and very sensitive.  He will make an amazing husband some day because he listens when I say I like things and remembers.

I love this face!  I love my baby!  I love the amazing son (to us and Heavenly Father), grandson, cousin, nephew, friend, leader, and young man that Jake is growing into.  He has his flaws-we all do.  That is what we are here for-to work on those flaws and showing Heavenly Father we are willing to work through them to return to Him.  Jake knows who he is and his light shines for everyone to see. 

We are blessed to have Jake in our family and wish we had about 3 or 4 more just like him! :)