Thursday, May 24, 2012

5 Reasons everyone should have a dog.

 I noticed that I had 8 drafts I had never posted and had to see what they were.  For the most part I just sit down, type, post pic's, and hit publish (I love that it says "publish" because it makes me feel like a real writer).  I rarely type something ahead of time because whenever I go back to read what I wrote I usually just hit delete. Plus drafts don't really make sense for my blog because this is more of a journal than (or then...still haven't looked into that one and figured out when to use which one...adding that to my list of things to do...) anything else.  This post however seemed like one I should "publish" because this is totally a journal post since I LOVE dogs.  I wrote it one day when I was missing having a dog.  I decided to think of 5 reasons I missed having a four legged friend in our home.  We have one now and she is crazy and I love her to pieces (because of that fact I added a little to this post).  Dogs are like people they are all completely different personalities and the three we have had in the past almost 15 years of marriage have all been individuals. :)  With out further ado...here are 5 reasons everyone should have a dog.
  (and just because part of this was kind of a draft doesn't mean you should expect it to be profound..it is just more of my rambling...)
 
1. To learn how to forgive and forget. If you step on your dogs tail by accident (or on purpose for that matter, but who would really do that?), and then reach down pet them and tell them you are sorry they: lick your face, wag their tail, and act like it never happened. Let's face it to them it didn't. All they care about it getting your affection. Ever accidentally step on someones (the someone being a human) foot and even when you apologize they aren't really all that happy with you? They know it was an accident but sorry doesn't make it feel better...and you should have been more careful! You have had that happen right? (or been the one that it happened too.) Dogs don't really have to forgive because they were never mad at you in the first place.

2. Confidence booster. No matter what you look like (Sunday best or sick bed pj's 3 days old), smell like (sweaty-just worked out or showered and clean...or you went some where with out them and pet another dog...they sniff ya but just move on.), or how you act (happy or grumpy) they just see you and wag their tail. Ever try to hug a human after a sweaty work out? Not a chance. A dog doesn't care one bit, hug away!

3. Good listeners and secret keepers. You can talk to a dog all day-tell your problems, your fears, your dreams. They won't tell a soul and they won't tell you that you are wrong. They will just wag their tails and follow you around.

4. Security. I always felt safe with Emily (100 pounds of black lab that we had to put to sleep because she had cancer). She was a wimp, but her bark and size could have fooled anyone...and it did on a few occasions. Daisy (55 pound basset hound-our 1st baby who also had to be put to sleep because of old age and a continuous infection that wouldn't go away) was not intimidating to look at, but behind a closed door her bark/howl could have fooled a would be burglar, with no problem. Sadie (our current doggie family member-a 62 pound lab mix) looks and sounds completely viscous and dangerous when she barks because she is scared (she has a "take me with you" bark that is so chirpy and pitiful..).  The hair on her back stands straight up and she looks like she is about to attack.  She never has because when it comes down to it she is too much of a wimp (she thinks she needs to protect us) and won't get close.   But the affect is very intimidating...she is a different dog but I love her.  I never have felt unsafe with my dogs around. 


5. Unconditional Love and a 4 legged soul mate. Dogs love people. No. Matter. What. If you feed them and love them they will love you back 100 fold. They will sit on your feet in the winter and keep them warm. They will alert you to things to come-Daisy wouldn't leave my side the day I started spotting when I was pregnant with Jake. She knew before I did that something was wrong. They will love you when you are completely unlovable. They will be your best friend immediately. They will be loyal and obedient (okay...more so labs than basset hounds on the obedient part..). They will look you in your eyes and lick your face when other people would walk a way. They are amazing. You never have to wonder how they feel about you because they let you known every time you walk in the door....

I saw a quote one time and it went something like this (and no I don't know who said it...but I am still going to put it in quotation marks so nobody thinks I said it...):

"I am trying to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."  I think that about sums it up...

(in case you are wondering 5 were literally just titles...I deleted those.  The other 2 are Easter and Christmas from 2009 that I never finished uploading pictures too so I never posted...maybe I will do that some day...)