Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Name is America...

Have you read any of the books from the series My Name is America?  If you haven't you should.  I just finished reading one called: My Name is America: The Journal of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot.  I am so excited to go to the library and get more to read (I got this one at the Homeschool Store-the consignment store in our area) because this is such a great way to relive American History.  The book is written in the perspective of a boy (Will who was 10 at the beginning of the book) who was orphaned and ended up living in Boston with a writer for the revolution and a widowed inn owner.  It brings American history to life and makes you understand the years of trials that the early Americans went through before they actually declared Independence from England.  I am so excited to start our Unit Study on George Washington and U.S. History as The United States of America became a free nation!!  This book is a quick and easy read (I started it 2 nights ago but only read for about 15 minutes that day.  I read a little last night-Jake has a friend from church over to spend the night because his parents and older siblings were all going to the Temple-and just finished it.  It took a couple of hours total to read) but full of history written in a way that I think will really keep children (and adults!) captivated as they read what it would have been like for someone their age to live during the time period.  When I studied U.S. History my junior year in high school it happened to be the year of the election campaign between George Bush and Bill Clinton (yes I am that old...) so it turned out to be more of a Social Studies class than history.  I am excited to finally learn all about our founding fathers and the true patriots that made this nation great and free!  Read this book and series-you will love them!