Saturday, March 14, 2009

Holding Hands

After school yesterday Jake and I went to Target to find a birthday gift for one of his best friends birthday party. As we got out of the truck Jake looked at me a little nervously. Then he walked a step behind looking a little sad. I asked what was wrong and reached out to hold his hand. He looked up at me and with a look of relief took my hand. Then he said "Mr. Vaughn (his gym teacher) told us today that our parents aren't going to hold our hands anymore and that we had to start doing more for ourselves...So, I was worried you weren't going to hold my hand." How sweet is that!?! We talked and I explained to him that Mr. Vaughn was using a saying that people use, that kind of means we won't always be able to do everything for them and they have to to take responsibility. He understood and felt much better.
I love how children take things so literally. I remember one time when Jake was probably 3 years old and I told him to go jump in bed and I would be right there to tell him goodnight. Well, when I walked in his room he was jumping up and down on his bed and he said "thank you Mommy! I always want to jump in my bed and you never let me! Thank you!"
I also love that he was sad I might not hold his hand. I will be sad when he doesn't want to hold my hand for sure!